Leadership Development at Pearlman-Shaw Consultancy
The context for leadership development has changed
Leaders “need to be amateur psychologists: in this new world of motivating remote workers, managing their own and other’s resilience, and influencing from afar, understanding human psychology is now an essential leadership attribute” Pearlman-Shaw, The HR Director February 2021
“Effective leadership means knowing when you are uncomfortable, what’s causing it, then making conscious decisions about how to handle it. It means knowing when to share, when to temporarily contain and where to take your feelings so that they don’t cause harm to you, your colleagues or even your loved ones”. Kate Pearlman-Shaw, January 2023 Leadership Discomfort: Tolerating and Managing This for Yourself and Others - CXO Outlook
Pearlman-Shaw Consultancy meets these new needs
Where other forms leadership development concentrate on ‘what’ you need to do to be a good leader, we use validated psychological tools and models to deep dive into ‘how’ you actually enact this. We take the very latest in psychology, neuroscience and leadership theory, and turn it into clear, practical and personalized leadership enhancements. Ours is a tailor-made approach, focusing on the unique needs of each leader and your organisation.
We develop and support your ‘Behaviours for Success’
Our flexible online modules and in-person programmes interweaved with 1-1 or small group application experiences equip you to meet your leadership challenges in the post-pandemic era, especially culture change, increasing inclusion, performance management, people strategy, business transformation, enhancing wellbeing and most especially leadership and team development.
We can deliver these as one-off modules or webinars or design them to flow together in development programmes.
We apply psychological thinking and method to anything you need.
Examples of our recent, most commissioned bespoke team and leadership development sessions, both in person and online, have been:
- How to have a good day for your brain: enhancing and maintaining resilience
- Approaching and managing tricky conversations - using Transactional Analysis to master ‘art’ of the tricky or tense conversation
- How to do the hard stuff the human way – how to balance compassionate, relationship based leadership with getting the job done
- Doing Your Best in Limited Time: proven techniques to improve attention, time and task management
- How we sell and our customers buy: the psychology of sales and negotiation
- Engaging people through change : using the psychological 'tasks of transition' to avoid resistance & increase engagement
- DEI and the Brain: a neuroscience look at how to change personal and organisational systems to properly improve inclusive behaviour
- The neuroscience of influencing: how to be heard and have your thinking followed
- How to lead a highly performing team - the new psychology of team-working: drawing from contemporary psychological research we identify the psychological factors’ teams need in place to be highly successful
- Inclusive leadership: leadership skills and behaviours needed to increase inclusivity
- Speaking up in a system: essential communication skills for the most difficult situations
- Relationship building: growing Emotional Intelligence at work: practical skills to enhance workplace relationships
We will think with you about the leadership behaviours you need to enact and HOW, then tailor sessions to your needs. We offer online, face-to-face and blended options for our services.
Testimonials from our Leadership Development Programmes
From an SLT member in Higher Education. “I have worked in a middle and then senior leadership provision for over 15 years to date and have never received input that has affected my practice in a fraction of the way that this development programme has.”
From a Head of Department in Higher Education: “I feel very fortunate to have benefitted from Kate’s wisdom and expertise as part of a Leadership & Development Programme I attended. Kate is professional to the core and delivers informative and thought provoking sessions, covering themes that can be applied to personal and professional relationships. I found the sessions engaging and Kate’s real-life examples provided context to help digest some of the more complex topics. I could listen to Kate for hours – despite participating via online training using a virtual platform, Kate engaged with the audience and connected participants by offering a safe space to reflect, share experiences and build knowledge. I have attended several leadership and development programmes in the past and Kate knocks spots of them. Her programme is 5* and I would highly recommend Kate”.
From an SLT member on their team: ”I’m not sure what magic you performed but my line reports have been very different since your programme!”